Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Not In Despair!


I've been re-reading Eric Metaxas excellent biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy"  This man spent the last two years of his life in Nazi prison before his life was taken.  Yet he never complained nor considered his fate harsh.  He refused to be in despair even in the midst of the most trying circumstances.

Like many of you, I'm disappointed at the apparent loss of this race by Gov. Romney and the spectacle of four more years under President Obama.  I suspect that this may mean the end is nearer than we expected.  However, my hope is in God, come what may!  I'm not in prison and I'm not being tortured for my faith.  So how can I be in despair when others like Bonhoeffer who has suffered those things and worse refused to be in despair? If I'm a child of the king, there is no reason to allow despair in my life!

"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed... Therefore we do not lose heart! Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 

II Cor 4:8-9,16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check Out My New Facebook Page - Flyover Country!