Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hosea and The 2012 Election

In my personal Bible study time each morning, I've been reading through the Old Testament prophets.  The last few days I've been reading the prophetic book of Hosea.  Hosea was a man called of God to preach a message of judgement and a call to repentance to the people of Israel about 2700 years ago.  His words were not received well then, and the people to whom he was speaking  refused to hear his message.  As a result, they (the people of the northern 10 tribes of Israel) were taken into captivity by Assyria just a few years later and would be destroyed as a people.

On a day after our countrymen willingly embraced a presidency which which is pro-abortion, anti-God, and anti-marriage, I read these words, which ring out through the millenia to us today:  Speaking of Israel (and I think, America today) Hosea writes:

"Their deeds will not allow them to return to their God.
For a spirit of harlotry is within them.
And they do not know the Lord."  Hos 5:4

"They will go...to seek the Lord, 
but they will not find Him:
He has withdrawn from them." Hos 5:6

"(Israel) is oppressed, crushed in judgement,
Because he was determined to follow man's command."  Hos 5:11

"I will go away and return to My place
Until they acknowledge their guilt and seek My face:
In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me."  Hos 5:15

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge..." Hos 4:6

Strong words!  Yet as I have read these words today, I can't help but believe they are true for us as well.  I believe that judgement is coming to America.  We have forsaken God, and He has promised to withdraw Himself from those who willingly refuse Him.  I don't know what all this means for us in the future, but we as Christians need to be more prepared to be salt and light in this dark world than ever before.  Isn't it true that a candle glowing during the day will get little attention, but in the pitch black of night it becomes a beacon to all who will follow it?  Whatever the future holds, I want to be that light to those around me.  I want my life to be like life-preserving salt.  And I want to point to the One who holds out hope to those "who acknowledge their guilt and seek His face!"

As I wrote last night after the results of the election became known, I am not in despair, and, if you are a Christian, neither should you be!  The writer of Hebrews speaks these words to us, which are as true today as they were almost 2,000 years ago:

"Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need..."  Heb. 4:16

"...we who have taken refuge...have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us.  This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast..." Heb. 6:18,19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check Out My New Facebook Page - Flyover Country!