I started this blog in 2011, with just three posts that year, so I really didn't get very serious about it until 2012. Since then, I've learned a lot about blogging and how to get the message out there. This is actually only my fifty-second post, so I've obviously not posted daily or even weekly, as my schedule simply doesn't permit it. I have a full time job, and a lot of other responsibilities, so I just post when I have time, and when I feel like I've got something to say that might be worth reading. I do enjoy writing, but I'm not in this to get some kind of fame (and certainly not fortune!). Although I don't have any degrees behind my name, I've been a reader (especially of history) all my life, and I feel like that may give me some insight into current events that perhaps others might not have. Even more than that, I have been a student of the Bible for many years, and I make no bones about the fact that I see the world through the lens of the word of God. I believe God's word informs my perspective and gives me a worldview that not many have who are writing about current events and social issues.
Everybody seems to have a "top ten" these days, so I guess I'll join the crowd. However, in the quest to be "always different," I'm making mine "top eleven!
Top Eleven Posts of 2014
(The numbers in parenthesis are the number of "views" for each post as of this writing)
- 11. Stand With The Persecuted Church! - May 2, 2014 (280) - This is an issue that is close to my heart, and, to be honest, I wish that I had written about it more. The church around the world continues to be assaulted from all sides, yet we here in America don't seem to notice.
- 10. Five Biblical Reasons To Support Traditional Marriage - February 5, 2014 (284)
- 9. God Can Do Things In Prayer That Are Just So Cool! - September 28, 2014 (290) - I usually don't write these on the "spur of the moment", but this is one that I shared right away. The message is simple: God still works today!
- 8. BOOK REVIEW: Stonewalled by Sharyl Attkisson Part 1 - November 9, 2014 (291)
- 7. What Is Marriage? - January 22, 2014 (302) - This was the first of four posts that I wrote on traditional marriage. It was by far the most controversial series that I've ever written, which I find remarkable. Ten years ago, it wouldn't have even drawn a yawn! Though I had a lot of positive feedback, I found out there is a "gay mafia" out there that wants to shout down and belittle anyone who doesn't agree with them. The level of vitriol that I received was astonishing. Oh well...It still needed to be said and it is a point of view that you hardly hear in traditional media these days.
- 6. Five Secular Reasons To Support Traditional Marriage Part 2 - February 23, 2014 (355)
- 5. "Church Etiquette"-Wisdom From a Bygone Age - October 18, 2014 (361) - This one really surprised me. This was just based on a fifty year old church bulletin someone showed me. I think it really struck a chord with people!
- 4. Thoughts At Fifty - Living Between The Dash - March 12, 2014 (385) - This is one of the most personal posts that I wrote this year. I think it could very well be the most significant, considering the subject matter.
- 3. Five Secular Reasons To Support Traditional Marriage Part 1 - February 13, 2014 (397)
- 2. BOOK REVIEW: Stonewalled by Sharyl Attkison Part 2 - November 11, 2014 (430) - I did something in preparing for these posts on "Stonewalled" that I don't think I've ever done before. I pre-ordered a book and paid full price! I'm a cheapskate, and I almost always wait until a book is out for awhile and is on sale before I buy one. However, I really felt like this book was important, and I wanted to read it and review it while it was still in the initial rush of publicity. Judging by the response, I believe this worked! Side note - This was kind of weird to me. Part 2 of my post got many more readers than Part 1. Go figure!
OK! DRUM ROLL PLEASE....My most read post of the year is...
- 1. Oklahoma Beheading - Let's Call It What It Is! - September 27, 2014 (491) - One thing that I'm noticing is that the posts that get read the most are the ones that are on subjects that are "hot" at the moment. This one and #2 above both illustrate this quite well. This gruesome event happened on a Thursday evening, but hardly got reported in the national media until Friday afternoon. As I wrote in the post, the coverage even then was very spotty, which was inexplicable to me. There were obvious indications to me that this was terrorism, whether it was "lone wolf" or not, but the national media almost all refused to use the "T" word. I got up very early on Saturday and wrote this post, so it was a combination of being a very current story and one that was not being covered extensively. I think people were looking for information about it. I don't know if you would say it went viral, but it certainly was well read. I think I had three hundred people read it within 48 hours!
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank each one of you who have read my blog this year. I hope it has been a help and a blessing to you. As always, I welcome your responses, whether positive or negative.
God bless you and Happy New Year!
Next...I'll share my Top Eleven Blog Posts of All Time...
Hint...Many of the ones from 2014 are on the list!
For an inspirational lift, check out my new book, "Grace In Shoe Leather." It's an amazing story of grace and forgiveness that has made a difference in the lives of so many. You can download it here: http://amzn.to/1wLL5Mw P.S. IT'S ON SALE TODAY - JUST 99 CENTS!!!!